The Bryan Kids 2014

The Bryan Kids 2014

Monday, August 13, 2012

Mommy, I need a spoon...

   Mommy, I need a spoon...This seems like such a simple request, and I chose to believe that while prepping two dishes for a dear friend's bridal shower this evening.  This is where I went wrong.  The phrase should have struck fear in my heart, or at least alerted me to some trouble brewing on the home front.  Little did I know while I was happily preparing spinach dip and pasta salad, my sweet daughter had found yet another way to horrify me...


    I was standing at the counter, creating a bread bowl for my spinach dip, when my innocent little 3 y/o comes running into the kitchen, and simply announces, "Mommy, I need a spoon."  She is of course already in the process of procuring said spoon, and I initially seem to think this a benign request.  She runs off in the direction of her room, and I smile.  Look at my sweet girl.  She must be playing kitchen in her room, while I am cooking in the actual kitchen.  How cute is that?  Of course, after I completed my food prep, I started to wonder and search for my daughter. This is Molly of course...Why does she need a spoon?  She isn't eating anything, and sadly, she is not standing in front of her play kitchen like I was picturing and hoping.  So I continue my search.  I call out her name, and there is no response.  This is a very bad sign.


     I made it all the way into my room, call her name again, and I hear a slightly muffled response.  "Nothing Mommy..."  What does nothing mean?  It can't possibly be anything good.  As I turn the corner into my bathroom, I am horrified to find my daughter "play cooking" alright.  She is elbow deep in the cat litter box.  she has poured the cat's water, his wet food, and his dry food all into the litter.  She is stirring her mixture proudly, and stares up at me with her sweet little blue eyes, as if to say "What's wrong Mommy?"  As I suppress the need to vomit, I grab my daughter out of her fabulous amalgamation of grossness, and I toss her into the shower.  In case you were wondering, canned cat food, water, and cat litter make something very similar to concrete when they are mixed together.

   
     The mess has been contained, my daughter has been bathed, but I am still wondering if there is a way to bathe her completely in hand sanitizer and Lysol.  The cat is just wondering what happened to his bathroom and his food.  Molly, Molly, Molly....what am I going to do with you??

2 comments:

  1. I have taught my children: "Nothing" is the wrong answer. As in:
    "What are you doing?"
    "Nothing."
    "Wrong answer."
    "I'm riding my tricycle in the kitchen."
    "OK"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Nothing" always means "something I totally shouldn't be doing"

      Delete