The Bryan Kids 2014

The Bryan Kids 2014

Thursday, October 11, 2012

A car pool moment...

   Here I was, minding my own business, when God decided to hit me with a realization.  I was waiting to drop Colin off in car pool.  I watched him hop out of the car, explain where his sister was, and wave as he headed off to his class.  And right then, for some odd reason, I realized my babies are getting so big.  I started to tear up.  I literally cried on my way home.  I started to mourn the fact that my sweet constant companions of the last 4.5 years are going to leave me.  My sidekicks are growing up.  My Robins are going to leave their Batman.  In just a few short months, I register Colin Bear for Kindergarten.  Molly will be close behind.  They are becoming tiny little people right before my very eyes, full of personality, incredibly intelligent, and almost always funny.  I'm not ready...

     I'm not ready for them to go to school full time.  The car is too quiet when I drop them both off.  Yes, don't get me wrong, I enjoy some moments of silence, but the noise and chaos has become my norm.  These small people love me, and I love them so much.  Yes, they make me crazy, and occasionally drive me to drink, but imagining my life with no one around in a few years makes me sad.  I am not ready for this phase to end.  So get ready sweet babies...I am going to treasure every hug, every play date, every morning drop off, every preschool party, and every simple afternoon snuggle while watching Nick Jr.  Our days together are numbered, and I am not ready to let go.  I see why people just keep having babies, or at least space them out a little more.  My nest is going to be empty all too soon.

   I know I have years of fun and hugs ahead of us as a family, but this baby phase ending has caught me by surprise.  The big kid beds, the lack of diapers, the actual questions and conversations.  When did it all happen??  The cliches are all true parents.  Enjoy it while it lasts.  Hug your babies and treasure the moments.  Even the difficult ones.  Because all too soon, these babies become kids, and then teens, and then adults.  I may need another cup of coffee...Now, to pack a picnic lunch for a playdate after preschool, and to stop crying...

2 comments:

  1. We're now well into the "empty nest" stage. Quiet is good -- it is very good. And soon maybe we'll have grandbabies around so we can get our fill of snuggles, and still go to sleep in a quiet house.

    Anyway, you won't have much time to miss them -- you're very close to the "mom's taxi service" part of life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want to weigh in on this, I missed a lot of you kids growing up and when you went off to college it felt very lonely even when your mother was there. Keep loving and hugging them and sharing your life like you do now, they will grow up with a sense of humor like yours and the drive that you have will be an asset in their growth. Love Daddy

    ReplyDelete