The Bryan Kids 2014

The Bryan Kids 2014

Monday, February 25, 2013

My life...stuck in a spelling bee

   I don't know if you know what it is like to be around a 3 and a 5 year old all day long, but the endless stream of questions can be mentally exhausting.  They simply never stop.  I know, I know, that is how the little guys learn. And far be it from me not to want to help them learn and thrive in our world.  I want them to be smart. I love that they are curious and that they are so proud of themselves when they spell something correctly.  Of course, in the mean time, let's just admit it...it can get annoying.  We wait so long for them to start talking.  Well, I did at least.  Both kids were late talkers.  I kind of figured it was God's idea of a little joke.  You know, the girl that never stops talking has kids that don't talk at all.  Well, in the end, they are both talking just fine.  In fact, they rarely stop...unless they are sleeping.

   Both kids love to ask how to spell words, especially when we are driving.  Colin is getting pretty good.  He is learning to read quickly, and he can sound out a lot of things on his own.  Of course, now Molly has entered this phase full force.  Spelling and "Why?" questions...The kids had their mid year evaluations a few weeks ago.  One of the things Molly needs to work on is knowing her full name and that Mommy has a name other than Mommy.  While riding in the car the other day, I started to quiz her for a change.

Me "Molly, how do you spell Molly??"
Molly "M-O-L-L-Y"
Me "How do you spell Mommy??"
Molly "M-O-M-M-Y"
Me "Did you know that your whole name is actually Molly Elizabeth Bryan?"
Molly "Yes (giggles)"
Me "What is Mommy's whole name?"
Molly "Mommy Bryan..."
Me "Well, actually my whole name is Heidi Bryan.  Just you and Colin call me Mommy."
Molly "No...You are mommy.  Not Heidi.(giggles again as if I have lost my mind) Mommy, how do you spell school?"
Me "S-C-H-O-O-L.  Let's try to spell your whole name again.  Maybe just Molly Bryan??"
Molly "Yeah...no thanks.  Hmmm...How do you spell chocolate??"
Me "C-H-O-C-O-L-A-T-E"
Molly "That's a long word mommy...can we get some chocolate on our way home?"

   At least the girl has her priorities straight :)  Chocolate first.  Who needs to know their own name if they have enough chocolate??

   

No comments:

Post a Comment