The Bryan Kids 2014

The Bryan Kids 2014

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

My coffee pot died...

   I returned home from the beach only to discover my sweet friend that provides me caffeinated goodness was no longer functioning.  I tried several things just to get her working, but despite my best efforts, she remained stubborn and unable to brew my favorite beverage.  I pitched her in the trash while pillaging for alternative sources of caffeine.  I settled on a simple Diet Pepsi and decided to head out with the kids in tow to pick out another coffee pot.  I chose Target.  Not just because it is one of my personal happy places, but also because of the Starbucks on your way in the front door.  Caffeine was needed to tackle this mission.  Well actually, it was needed no matter what the day entailed, but a trip to the store with both children calls for a large coffee.


   I packed both kids into the car, and head to the store.  Now I have to decide what kind of coffee maker I want all over again.  I have friends who swear by their Keurigs, but I can't help but think that brewing one cup at a time is impractical for our family, even if it seems super cool...


   I had previously decided that it was time to rip off the bandaid that are Pull ups.  Molly has to be ready by mid August, so it is time to for both of us to put on our big girl panties, and suck it up.  I did not enjoy this part at all with Colin.  Traveling with two changes of clothes and plastic bags got very old, but the time has come.  I put Molly in big girl panties before we left the house, and I explained what that meant.  She nodded her head in agreement, and repeated everything I said.  I took her to the bathroom about ten minutes before we left, and then I sat her on the "car potty" before we actually entered Target.  Success both times.  I clap and bribe her with chocolate, and remind her for the 20th time during the five minute trip to Target that she needs to tell me if she needs to go peepee.


   I stopped at the snack bar for the requisite slushies and Starbucks for mommy.  We head off, and as always, I am distracted by bright shiny objects.  I even get brave enough to try on clothes.  I discovered a potential Maxi dress for 14$ on the clearance rack.  The kids are behaving so well, I take time to hit the dressing room.  I decide I need the next size up, but that I like the dress. I throw it in the cart, and head out for my next destination.  I stop in the toddler aisle, and I pick up some of the padded, training panties.  I figure they may come in handy over the next few weeks. I throw them in the cart, and head towards small appliances.  


    As I stand in the aisle staring at the various one cup to twelve cup models before me, Molly starts taking coffee makers off the shelves, and lining them up on the floor.  I put them back, all while fielding questions from Colin, and comparing stats on the various pots.  I finally decide on a traditional 12 cup maker, due to it's versatility.  I can make as little or as much as I want, not to mention the price difference alone.  I pick a mid range pot, and I am loading it into the cart as Molly runs past me.  I felt a little drop of liquid hit my leg as she ran past.  I look down at the floor and my foot, and I see a puddle of liquid.  I ask "Molly, did you spill your drink?"  But I know this isn't true.  Her slushie is blue, not clear.  And then it hits me.  This is something that will be very different this time around with the conversion to big girl panties.  With Colin, pee rarely hit the floor.  I had a layer of cargo shorts or jeans and underwear between him and the floor.  There seems to be quite a bit more collateral damage with big girl panties and dresses.  No extra barrier of absorption.  It is simpler for her to use the bathroom, but may cause other unanticipated problems.  My bad, Target...Clean up in small appliances.  I stare at the puddle in mild horror as I sip my Starbucks.  I frantically look for paper towels, and realize that they must be added to my usual arsenal of mommy preparedness.  I ask Molly if she peed on the floor, and she looks shocked that I would even ask her such a question...Her answer "Ummmm...yes Mommy, I peepeed on the floor."  I scold her, and remind her that pee pee goes in the potty.  Now what do I do?  Think fast Super Mom...The puddle is very small...I could look around for an employee, or I could do my best with a few wipes, and head up to check out.  I am sure you know what I did.  




     Within minutes, I had both children herded up to the register.  I purchased my padded training panties, my brand new coffee pot, and a brand new pack of Dora underwear as well.  I think we may need some extras on hand for this early period of potty training boot camp.  I walked out of the store with my head held high, hoping and praying that they mop those floors pretty regularly. On that note, I am also going to think much harder before I ever sit or kneel down on the floor of Target ever again.  I mean, I can't be the first mom to commit a "pee and run"...at least, I hope not...

No comments:

Post a Comment