The Bryan Kids 2014

The Bryan Kids 2014

Thursday, January 17, 2013

"When I grow up..."

   Thursday morning drives are one of my favorite times with my son.  It is just me and the Bear.  A captive audience to each other if you will.  No other distractions, well, outside of that "jack rabbit" that decided to speed up this morning while I was attempting to change lanes.  And yes, "jack rabbit" is the term I have settled on to keep me from saying other inappropriate things in the car.  Seems relatively harmless.  Well this morning, Colin wanted to talk about when he grows up...

Colin "Mommy, when I am 16 years old, I am going to drive a new car."
Me "Really??  Are you going to buy this car?"
Colin "Yeah, it is going to be a small, blue car, and really nice."
Me "I see little dude...So how are you going to buy this car?"
Colin "Well, I will be a grown up, so I can buy whatever I want."
(I see an opportunity for a little teaching...)
Me "Well, you know grown ups have jobs that make it possible for them to buy things like cars.  What kind of job do you want to do when you grow up?  Do you want to be a doctor? A scientist? A fireman? You know, you can even be a nurse like Mommy.  You don't have to be a girl to be a nurse."
Colin "Nah...I just want to be a grown up like Daddy."
Me "You know Daddy has a job, right?"
Colin "Oh...(slight tone of surprise) What does Daddy do?"
Me "Well, he works on computers all day.  He has to make computers do what he needs them to do. That is where he goes everyday."
Colin "Oh, then I want to do that.  I like computers."
Me "Good enough little dude.  You should be able to buy yourself a small, blue car one day with that job."
Colin "OK, can I still live with you Mommy?"
Me "Yeah...No.  Once you have a job and a car, you need to have your own house as well.  You can come a visit as much as you like, but grown up boys have to have their own house."
Colin "Well OK Mommy.  Will you ride in my new car?"
Me "Yep, I will little man.  I would love to ride in your new car."

   Sometimes, I am amazed by his little perception of the world.  Wouldn't it be nice if being a grown up meant that you could buy whatever you wanted?  And I suppose he has been under the impression that Daddy goes to a lot of grown up play dates.  I guess that explains why he thinks I just go to the hospital to talk with my work friends.  If only life were that simple :)

No comments:

Post a Comment