The Bryan Kids 2014

The Bryan Kids 2014

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mommies are actually superheros...

   Mommies are actually superheros...this is of course a conclusion I have come to over the last four years of motherhood.  I have the power to heal a boo boo with a single kiss, a bag full of tricks that would rival any superhero's utility belt, the ability to fold laundry faster than my three year can unfold it,  and the skills of a Tetris master when it comes to loading dishes.  I can change a diaper on a thrashing baby with one hand behind my back, and only two wipes...Ok, so this may be a slight exaggeration, but I do have some incredible skills at this point.  A mommy can make a child stop what they are doing with a single phrase, or even simply the "right look" in their direction.  A mommy's negotiation skills rival that of any lawyer. A mommy can be showered and ready to leave the house in less than ten minutes, at least when it comes to herself :) A mommy hug can make almost anything seem a little bit better, and she can do all of these things with little to no sleep on a regular basis.  This MUST make us superheros.  I mean, how else do we survive the insanity that we live every day?  Of course, I would love it if I were also granted the super power of weight loss without any effort, but I guess I will settle for the super powers I already have.

    Last night, I got to leave the hospital a little early, and I was grateful for the extra few minutes.  Any extra time with my family or even simply in my bed is always appreciated.  I arrived home to find my husband passed out in the living room among a sea of toys.  He greeted me with a gift of chocolate and a gift certificate for a mani/pedi, and said "Happy Mother's Day, your other gift is still in the SUV."  Because I was still awake, I decided to go out to the car and see what was in the SUV.  I opened all of the doors, checked the back hatch, and after scanning all of the surfaces, I didn't see anything unusual.  I walked back in the house, and announced "Whatever was in the SUV has been stolen...I don't see anything."   I was mostly joking, and I assumed he had just forgotten where he had put the "other gift."  His face fell, and he said "I had the SUV detailed and washed. I thought you would appreciate it.  Four people worked on the car for over an hour..."  Me "Oh...I'm sorry, I was just looking for a gift, I didn't actually look that closely.  I will go look again."  Strangely enough, after a second glance, the car was sparkling clean.  I am not sure how I missed it.  What an awesome gift.  I never have the time to do it myself, but it is so nice to know that I have a clean car for the first time in months.  The kids both made gifts for me while they were at school.  I know I will treasure these gifts forever, and it is hilarious to see what Colin actually "thinks" about his mother.  The interview pages are awesome, along with his "brilliant" portrait of mommy.   My favorite quote from the page is when he says what I do for work.  He seems to think that I "talk to my work friends at work."  Perhaps it is better that this is what he thinks I do for the time being.  I am not quite sure I am ready to explain my actual job in detail just yet. This interview/portrait may be framed for future reference :)
   I have spent the morning with my children, splitting my chocolate with them because they have both peed in the potty.  They are both running around, causing chaos in their wake.  Colin is attempting to win back birds that are being held "hostage" on the fridge by eating fruit for breakfast.  Molly has somehow managed to find a box of checks, and has been bringing them to me, one checkbook at a time.  I fear that is doesn't bode well that Molly is already taking control of our checking account at the ripe age of not quite three :)  Last night, I got very little sleep.  When I checked on Molly before I laid down for the night, she had fallen asleep on the floor with her head under her bed.  I pulled her out, and placed her gently in bed.  Shortly after that, somewhere around 1 AM, she came into our room, wanting to eat and watch TV.  She had removed all clothing from the waist down.  I redressed her, took her back to her room, and she proceeded to scream and cry.  I woke Mike, and told him to handle it.  I figured I got the night off for Mother's Day.  After she finally settled down, Colin came into the room after a nightmare.  He climbed into bed next to me, and he had nightmares about people taking his Angry Birds...Well, best I can figure from what he was saying in his sleep.  I guess the kid needs to start eating some fruits and vegetables so that he can get his birds back, and mommy can get some sleep. Needless to say, this post is being written while I sip on my second, LARGE cup of coffee.  I suppose this is simply proof that motherhood is the one job with no sick days, holidays, or time off.  Molly is looking at her baby book, and she is fascinated by the baby version of herself.  Looking back on the tiny little versions of my children, and their sweet fuzzy heads, I had no idea what I was in for when they were born.  I had no concept of the incredible task ahead of me, but I also had no idea of the incredible unconditional love I was truly capable of as a mother.  I wouldn't trade a moment of the madness that is my life every day.  Happy Mother's Day to all of my fellow mommies out there reading this post.  Remember, we are all superheros, at least in the eyes of our sweet children :)

No comments:

Post a Comment