The Bryan Kids 2014

The Bryan Kids 2014

Monday, June 4, 2012

I am adult...I am a grown up...

   Sweet, sweet little Colin Bear.  My snuggly little man.  He is getting too smart for his own good.  He is such a little boy now, not a baby.  Most days, I can hardly believe the whole little person he has become.  Full of hugs and snuggles, and frequently words of wisdom if you listen carefully.  Outside of the inevitable "what's that, why?" phase, Colin has developed a come back for a common parental response.  It's the one we all used to hate to hear as a child.  "No honey, that's for grown-ups, or only adults can do..."  Fill in the blank with what ever seems fitting.  His latest response "I am adult, I am a grown up, see?"  He stands up really tall, and smiles his winning smile, and he waits.  He waits to see if he has sold his mother on this idea.  I of course smile and shake my head, and say "no bud, not quite."  Of course, a few days ago, I decided to mix it up a little bit.  It went something like this...
Colin "Mommy, what's that?"
Me "That's mommy's coffee."
Colin "Can I have a sip?"
Me "No buddy, coffee is for grown ups, so that means you can't have any."
Colin "I am adult...I am a grown up, see."  He is standing tall, smiling at me, and holding out his hands to steal my coffee
Me "Well son, if that is the case, then you need to get a job.  Grown ups have jobs"
Colin "OK??"
  Poor little dude, I am already trying to put him to work...But maybe it will make him enjoy being a kid for a little longer.  So ironic that we spend our entire young life trying to get older, and our whole adult life trying to be young again...This is his school picture from this year.  Such a great picture of my "big boy," or "adult" boy in his little mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment