The Bryan Kids 2014

The Bryan Kids 2014

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Run...Heidi...Run...

  Running...this is something that I have never done before...at least not voluntarily.  I have run laps as punishment in both school gym class and in marching band.  But never have I chosen to run.  It isn't fun...It only takes a few minutes before I start to feel like I might die, and that I need to stop.  I can power walk with the best of them, but running, not so much.  In fact, I have said many times before, "If you see me running, you might want to pick up the pace as well. Chances are, there are men with guns or large ferocious dogs chasing me." I admire the people that can run every day, and that they seem to love it.  Exercise has never been something that I enjoy.  Occasionally I feel better after I have hit the gym, but that is more about "doing the right thing" and less about any kind of "high" I get from the activity.  I wish  got a high.  Instead, my evil nemesis, food, gives me a high.  Not a good combo for trying to get healthier.  Not only do I love food and eating, but I kind of hate exercise.  But I refuse to fail.  I am not a quitter.  So my workout buddy and I have set a goal of running the Disney Princess Half marathon this year.  It is more than a bit overwhelming when I think about it some days, but I believe I can do this.  I have a goal.  Of course, I can't even run 5K right now, so I am pretty sure it is a lofty goal to say the least.  My workout buddy, she rocks...she believes.  When she sets her mind to something, she gets it done.  She has lost 27+ lbs since we started this whole process.  I am trying to let her be my inspiration.  I looked to a running friend at work who is also an incredible role model for advice. She has had gastric bypass, lost tons of weight, and is now running marathons.  So I thought I would ask her how she started running.  Leigh's advice, just run...simple, but some how brilliant.  She said "well, I just decided I was going to do it, and I did. It may not be fun, it may be incredibly hard, but chances are, it won't kill you.  You may feel like you want to die, but it will pass, and then you have the feeling of achievement of completing your mission."  After some careful consideration, I decided that my friend may just be on to something...Even though I want to stop after a few minutes, and even though I may NEED to stop and walk after a few minutes, I can keep going, and keep trying.  So I gave it a shot.  I had to run a lap, and then walk a lap, but I completed my first mile.  I even walked a 1.5 miles to get to the track, then I ran/walked my mile, and then I walked 1.5 miles to get home.  The good news, I am still alive to tell you about this :)  I am ashamed of my time, but at this point, I am focusing on running, not on my speed.  Even stranger, I am looking forward to my next chance to try again.  She was right, you just keep running.  I do need to find a better sports bra...but that is another problem altogether...My kids were so confused as I ran around the track.  Colin asked me "why are you running Mommy? Is something wrong?"  My response "Nope bud, Mommy is hot, sweaty, and tired, but nothing is wrong."  Maybe someday soon, seeing mommy run will be more "normal."  Until then, in the immortal words of Yoda "Try not...do or do not, there is no try..."  I am choosing to do...perhaps I have failed in the past because I have simply tried to run, instead of simply running.

No comments:

Post a Comment