The Bryan Kids 2014

The Bryan Kids 2014

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Things I learned yesterday...

   As a courtesy to all of the other parents out there reading this blog, I always like to share my little nuggets of wisdom I procure throughout my adventures.  Yesterday, I encountered a few I would like to share.  I will start with this fabulous picture of my daughter, who apparently decided to channel the movie "Braveheart" for a few minutes.  I will say, at least she had the courtesy to color coordinate the markers with her outfit.

So here is my brief list of things that I learned during my adventures in parenting yesterday....
-Never trust a quiet Molly...as evidenced by the above photo
-No matter how "washable" the markers claim to be, they are still a pain in the butt to get off your child's face
-when you accidentally wash a pull up in the washing machine, it makes a horrible mess
-If you take your kids to a pool, and they can see a play ground, they want to be on the playground...If you move to the playground, they want to be back in the pool...


    Lets just say, there was a lot of scrubbing and crying involved in getting Molly's art work off of her face.  She was quite pissed off by the time I was done.  As for the pull up, dear lord that made a mess.  I took everything out of the "pool bag" and threw it into the washer.  Totally forgot there was a pull up in the bag as well.  This caused me to wash the same load of clothes three times...because THAT is how I wanted to spend my afternoon...And finally, as if to prove the old saying "the grass is always greener," my children insisted on leaving the perfectly good pool at our friend's neighborhood, and trying out the very small, unimpressive playground.  No surprise here, they wanted to get back into the water after swinging a few times, and sliding down the hot slide once.  I refused to wrestle them back into their swim suits, and we left in tears.  How is it that they can make you feel like the worst mommy ever, even when you went out of your way to provide a fun morning for them?  Amazing...

  Finally, as if having to put my overweight self in a swimsuit multiple times already this summer wasn't enough to influence my poor self image, my hair decided to throw in an extra kick in the pants.  I have tons of gray...way more than any woman at (cough, cough) 35 y/o should have.  Well, at least in my humble opinion.  But up until recently, my gray has had the courtesy of being in the back of my hairline.  It seems to be centered at my crown. even when I need to get my roots done, I can usually hide it by pulling it back into a ponytail.  But two days ago, there it was...My unicorn horn.  I had a gray hair sprouting right out of the middle of my forehead.  Well in my hairline, of course, but there it was, wiry and proud.  Standing straight up at attention, taunting me in the rear view mirror.  Dear Lord, when did this start??  I started looking while at the red light, and he had friends...lots of friends.  But this one had personality.  It was as if my hair was giving me the proverbial finger.  I reached up, and plucked him out of my hair. There, take that stupid hair...Of course, what if the old wive's tale is true??  What if two grow back in its place?  Then it won't be a unicorn horn, it will be my own personal set of antlers or antennae.  Seriously, this getting old thing stinks.  Guess I need to find time to dye my hair...again.  I will pencil it in with stripping the sheets and washing them, making dinner, cleaning the house before the in laws arrive, and yet another fabulous grocery trip with two children in tow...mental note to buy wine...I will need wine by the end of the day.  And perhaps the pressure washer if Molly gets into the markers again...


No comments:

Post a Comment