The Bryan Kids 2014

The Bryan Kids 2014

Friday, April 6, 2012

Does anyone else know how to count in Chinese??

   While I salute and applaud my husband's efforts at teaching our children, he has recently left me in the awkward position of feeling a bit inadequate as a parent.  Thanks to an "app" he has been teaching the children to count in Chinese.  While I am fully competent at counting in English, and fairly competent at counting in Spanish(studied in school and years of counting while pushing with Spanish speaking patients), I don't have a clue how to count in Chinese.  I was perfectly satisfied with the fact that our children were counting to 100 in English.  Little did I know, Mike was going to sneak an additional language in on the weekends.  Talk about feeling like an idiot.  Colin asked me in the car yesterday to count to 10 in Chinese with him.  I told him I didn't know how.  He seemed surprised...and then said he would teach me.  Of course, I have no idea if what he was saying was actually Chinese, or perhaps it was simply "Colinese."  I suppose I need to get an "app" for this as well.  Until then, I have put "watch Ni Hao Kai Lan" on our afternoon agenda for today.  Maybe I can learn a few pointers, so that I don't feel like my four year old is smarter than I am...I also have to laugh at the irony of Mike feeling like so many people here in East Cobb are snobby and pretentious, and that we don't fit in, and he is busy making sure our four year old has a diversified language experience before he gets to PreK.

P.S. Please note, I am not only proud of my son for learning another language, I love the fact that Mike is willing to take the time to teach his children new, interesting things.

No comments:

Post a Comment