The Bryan Kids 2014

The Bryan Kids 2014

Monday, March 19, 2012

Baby Fever??

   I knew this was coming.  I spent all day Friday with my best friend Amy, and her sweet four month old daughter Shelby.  Then our friends Chris and Emily came into to town with their adorable twin girls Quinn and Avery.  They are 7.5 months old.  This is a danger age for Mike and myself, which is why our children are 17 months apart.  It was around 6-9 months old with Colin, that we started to think, we've got this.  He was adorable, fat, mostly immobile, and slept through the night.  We have a known weakness for the age, and I admit, that my uterus skipped a little beat while surrounded by baby snuggliness.  I, however, took a deep breath, thought about it, and remembered that I am finally feeling like I might have my feet back under me.  Molly is getting potty trained, Colin is potty trained.  They can both tell me what they want for food, when something is wrong, and occasionally they can follow directions.  Life is a little bit easier in many ways.  Every age brings new challenges, but much of the actual baby phase is behind us.  Mike, well, let's just say that he fell hook line and sinker for the sweet babies, and watching our big babies interact with them.  We always wanted three.  In fact, we kind of planned on three, which is another reason Colin and Molly are so close together in age.  We were just going to knock them out.  I wanted to get it all over with at once.  I didn't want to take a long break, and then start over.  Most days, I am more than ok with two kids.  In fact, I have one of each kind they make.  What more could I ask for?  Admittedly, I have moments when I feel that want/need for another baby.  I have never sold their clothes.  I have kept most everything.  I have loaned out all of our baby swings, bouncy seats, exer saucers, etc...but I made sure it was a loan.  The answer would be simpler if I had handled pregnancy and delivery well, but suffice it to say, I didn't.  My doctor even offered to tie my tubes during Molly's delivery.  I didn't hold it against her at all, considering what I do for a living.  I know I was a bit of a train wreck, but it doesn't make that longing for another sweet baby go away completely.  The one thing I am grateful for is that during these foggy moments of longing, I am frequently jolted back to reality by the two year old and four year old in my life.  I am busy...well, that is an understatement.  I can't imagine what my life would be like right now if I had another small baby around.  I am sure I would figure it out, but most days I am just fine with my two sweet kids.  The world is made for a family of four. We have a boy, a girl, a dog, a cat, and five fish.  I think I may just have the perfect life, even though my little "baby" girl is almost three years old.  I miss that "baby phase," but I think the reality of the chaos of two toddlers keeps me from moving forward with another.  That, and the reality of the health risks for myself.
     Baby fever...easily caught, but I must say, I enjoyed snuggling sweet babies, and giving them back to their mommies at the end of the weekend.  And I think Mike will feel the same way as well with some time. And maybe some more time alone with the kids we have. If not, perhaps he should take on a second wife.  I mean, as long as she is willing to cook and  clean, and help with the kids, I could be on board :)

2 comments:

  1. "My uterus skipped a beat ..."????? What, exactly, did they teach you in nursing school, anyway? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. L&D nurses always have an unusual twist on anatomy ;)

      Delete