The Bryan Kids 2014

The Bryan Kids 2014

Saturday, March 31, 2012

My brain is fried from the fever...recipe to follow

   Since I have had kids, I have frequently asked myself, "Is it worse when they are sick, or when I am sick?"  As a mother, it kills me to see my sweet babies sick.  Fevers, vomiting, asthma, you name it, we are pros with all of it around here.  Molly is my clone, in so many ways.  She has asthma, horrible allergies, and pukes at the drop of a hat.  Colin hardly ever gets sick, but when he does, he is pitiful.  This week, it was the flu. With something like this, you get ready and armed for it to go through the whole house.  First victim, Mike. He was hit early in the week with fever, body aches, chills, and a cough that just will not go away.  The kids and I tried to keep our distance, but of course Colin developed a fever on Tuesday night.  I had to keep Colin home from school on Wed, and this caused him to miss his egg hunt and Easter party.  I spent the beginning of the week nursing my boys back to health, and waiting for the other shoe to drop.  By Thursday, I was surprised that Molly and I had escaped the clutches of this evil virus.  As if to prove me wrong, I awoke with horrible chills and a fever on Thursday night.  Mommy down.  I think being sick is one of the most difficult things you have to deal with as a mother.  All you really want to do is crawl into your bed, and cry for your mommy, and for some reason, those tiny people still need goldfish and juice...not to mention love and attention.  Mike called in on Friday, so that he could stay home and help out with the kids.  I guess he picked up on the fact that I was going to have some difficulty watching the children while laying in bed moaning, covered in my own sweat.  Sadly, if the kids know I am home, they want Me.  Not Daddy.  In fact, They will come tell me "daddy isn't doing it right."  At this point, Mike is a pro, he is doing just fine with whatever they need, but for some reason, they still want me to do what ever needs to be done.  Mike finally put a baby gate up in the hallway, so that the children couldn't get to our bedroom door.  I stayed in bed for almost 24 hrs, drinking Nyquil q 6hrs.  I had a friend and care provider call in some Tamiflu.  Normally, I wouldn't even bother, but we had known exposure to influenza A, and I thought I would give it a shot.  After 36 hrs of bed rest, lots of medication, and some chicken soup and popsicles, I am starting to feel like a human again.  I am still very weak, and incredibly grateful to be called off at the hospital for the evening, but our family appears to be on the mend....Well, at least until Molly gets sick.  I hope it magically skips her, but somehow I just don't see that happening.  Until then, I have learned the hard way that letting your daughter stand in the shower to keep her happy while you are trying to rest and recover could very possibly result in an entire bottle of shampoo being used to make "snow balls."  I guess I will add shampoo to the grocery list...

No comments:

Post a Comment